Life on the Trail

Right click on Menu Bar, scroll to view, click full screen.

Monday, September 8, 2008

Nancy Peterson Reading Blog

Reading Assignment
Sept.8 Differentiation in Practice 1-14, Morning Meeting Packet
What?
The reading assignment covered essentially these few subjects which include: What is a Differentiated classroom, Hallmarks of a Differentiated Classroom, the thinking behind Differentiated Instruction and specific instructional strategies. To summarize, it explained exactly what it means to Differentiate and how the goal is to maximize the capacity of each learner by teaching in ways that help all learners bridge gaps in understanding and skill and help each learner grow as much and as quickly as they can.
Whereas, the article focused on Morning meetings and the many Pro’s that come with holding daily gatherings with your class. It also presented many fun and interesting ideas that would be very helpful in planning our own morning meetings.

So what?
Now, after this reading assignment,I’m better able to understand the term “differentiation” and the huge impact it can have on my future students. The outlines help me to organize what my responsibility is as a teacher and show me EXACTLY what my goals are in creating a Differentiated Classroom.

In the article, it talked about building a community and how management problems become easier because of the little time spent during the morning meetings to discuss, listen and build respect for one another. It’s amazing what little communication and a few fun activities can do to build stronger relationships. I feel like this article can help me become a more effective teacher.

What now?
A “a-ha” moment for me was when the book talked about Coach Mac and his teaching method with his baseball team. I really loved how he recognized that, “Talent is what you bring. Effort is what you give.” And that effort can be the equalizer in the classroom regardless of naturally ability. I know as a teacher I want to help students achieve to the best of their abilities and give EVERY student a sense of accomplishment knowing that they did their “personal best.” As the book said, Be the encourager! That’s exactly what I want to become.

As far as the article on Morning Meetings, I would like to apply many of the methods and examples the article suggested and would like to use the article as a reference to present to my future principal. I believe it makes a very good argument, and with countless examples shows how and why it is such a positive influence for good in the classroom. The article made me a believer!

3 comments:

Teacherheart said...

I'm a believer that you're a believer. Does any of this overwhelm you? Nice job!

Taush said...

To be honest... :)Yes, I feel an enormous amount of responsibility, but at the same time I know it is possible. I know it will take alot of experience and patience until I get it right, but I'm willing to learn if it means my students will benefit.

Taush said...
This comment has been removed by the author.