Life on the Trail

Right click on Menu Bar, scroll to view, click full screen.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Reading Sept. 30th, ch. 3-4

Ch. 3
What
This chapter had so many great insights it will be hard to summarize without completely ruining her work (she is brilliant) but I’ll try my very best. At the very beginning of the chapter she talks about the way we “do school” often makes it easy to forget why teaching once seemed the best job in the world and we lose sight of what we once hoped for. The quote that made me laugh was when she said, “Most of us didn’t hope to be dispensers of information, sergeants of behavior, and captains of the test prep.” I could certainly agree with that statement, haha, however, sometimes we do need to be those things as well, but there is something more…we all had a vision of helping others and giving others an opportunity to become their best selves. I liked how she said that if we can see the impossible becoming possible than we can change the normal school setting into something truly powerful.

The chapter also went into depth about 5 most important concepts which include: affirmation, contribution, power, purpose, and challenge. Without these pieces how could we even assume to build together a place in which we can all become what we are meant to be? (Tomlinson)

The chapter also included great strategies and ideas that I could very easily incorporate into my future classroom to better assist to the needs of all of my students. It went on to talk about how teachers hold the great responsibility of becoming mentors to their students. How invested teachers exemplify the pursuit of excellence and work in pursuit of a dream to give all students an opportunity to become their best selves.

Favorite parts 
“Houston, we have a problem” The second follows when the commander of operations in Houston pulls together a team of experts with varied specialties, outlines the critical nature of their role in trying to save the lives of the astronauts and concludes with the statement, “Failure is not an option”
“Given the nature of the classroom and its inhabitants, young lives are always at risk. There is always a problem. The teacher who believes deeply in the dignity and work of the individual and the group hears the echo, “Failure is not an option.”

I love love love that part in the book! I really got emotional reading that section and I thought it applied so beautifully to us as teachers. It sends out such a strong message of even though problems arise, we can work it out together, and that we will keep trying and never give up on anyone!

What now?
“We may encounter so many human needs at the very time we are so ill equipped to address them. Feeling such personal inadequacy may compel us to stop looking at the needs—to build a protective wall between the hurt of the young and our disappointment in ourselves.” (Tomlinson)

At times, I have thought this very thing. I don’t know how to help everyone right at this moment, but this passage has taught me that even though we may not be able to do it all at once or right way, does not mean we need to quit trying and give up. “Failure is not when we lose, failure is when we quit trying.” I have time to learn through experience and grow and as time goes by I will be able to meet the needs of the students in my classroom, but I know for now I’ll just have to be patient and have hope for the future, always looking forward to the positive.

Ch. 4
What
This chapter focused mainly on: classroom environment, building community, harvesting communication, classroom routines, support systems, and shared responsibility! It addressed different scenarios and ways to produce each of these components into a successful classroom.

Favorite parts 
I liked Scenario #1 Ms. Schilm created four room-arrangement charts and posted them on a classroom bulletin board. Each had a different name: seminar group format, discussion format, small group format, and team format. Within a short time, she could say to her students, “Please rearrange the room in the seminary format” and in a matter of seconds, each student would move one or two pieces of furniture.
I thought this would be a great way to create classroom routines and to organize my classroom in a time efficient manner. I realize that I would have to have students practice this routine many times before it could be as proficient but I thought it would be a great way to get students to transition fast and students would know exactly what was expected of them.
I also liked the music idea, where the teacher would play music to indicate the end of independent reading time.


What now?
It is my turn to take the new information and strategies I have acquired in this chapter and try to figure out which ideas would work best for my personality and teaching style. Maybe some of the ideas may need to be twicked or changed a little according to my schedule. It is also my responsibility to keep some kind of journal so that I can pull these ideas together so when the time comes to organize my own classroom I will be prepared as humanly possible.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I love it when my students feel the same way I do, while reading this book. I can tell that you DID feel that way... when something resonates like this, it almost feels good in a painful sort of way, doesn't it? She KNOWS what it's like... she KNOWS what she's talking about.

Have you thought of some way to keep these ideas "somewhere" to remember?